When your device is unable to connect to a backup destination, the CrashPlan app displays the message "Waiting for connection". Additionally, you might receive an email alert notifying you that the device “has been unable to reach any backup destinations for X Days”. Check the circle next to the destination's name:
- A green check indicates the destination is connected.
- A spinning grey circle indicates your device can't connect to the destination.
- A red exclamation point indicates your device has been unable to connect to the destination for more than the number of days set in your alert preferences.
This issue can occur for a number of reasons. Follow the instructions below in the order they are presented.
Re-authenticate with the destination
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- If necessary, sign in to your account.
- Double-click the CrashPlan logo in the top-right or use the keyboard shortcut for your operating system below to open CrashPlan Commands:
- Windows and Linux: Ctrl+Shift+C
- Mac: Option+Command+C
- Enter this command:
- Press Enter.
This closes the CrashPlan app, reauthenticates the CrashPlan app with the CrashPlan server, and then restarts the CrashPlan service.
- Re-open the CrashPlan app.
- Sign in to your account.
The app will synchronize and then should resume backing up normally.
Uninstall and reinstall the CrashPlan app
If re-authenticating with the destination did not resolve the issue, perform a standard uninstall and reinstall of the CrashPlan app. Uninstalling the CrashPlan app does not affect your existing backups.